Thursday, December 10, 2009

What's the big deal?

Those who know me know that I am rather irreverant of standards...but sometimes I really wonder what is the Big Deal about things.
Here I am sitting on the bench, waiting for my next project to come along. My company is kindly paying me my salary in return for the odd responses to proposals they pull me into at nights and on holidays. One morning some people came to work, they were sent an invite by their bosses..and laid off. No big deal. Just like that. And could happen to anyone any day.
Today I was sent a mysterious invite "Discussion" it said. Now today has been one of my upbeat days. I have stuck my hand out and introduced myself, got myself embroiled in 3 proposals and am feeling generally important. One of the VP's I have earlier accosted in the corridor comes and asks me for my card and I hunt around in my wallet and actually find one and give it to him.
Rather ironic it has to be today I think as I am told I need not wait and can come in right away. So I go in. And am asked to explain something. My card on the table! Still can't figure out until I am told. I had given out my Tata card! My old card!. Apparently it had gone down very badly. And upset a lot of people. How could I have done that? I had to make a written explanation explaining the reasons for doing this. I sat there and tore up my card thinking ... So this is a Big Deal. Probably is too. May not be very evident to a socially handicapped person like me. Is it to you?

1 comment:

Poonam Bhatia said...

It certainly is no big deal, Ranjana. Not to me at least....In fact I always wondered why must people be so insecure as to pull out their cards and hand them out to all and sundry. How can a
2"x3" piece of paper with your name and other impersonal information printed on it be a better introduction of you than a meeting that you might have just had in person. At best I see cards as a convenient way of leaving contact details with people. It saves you the trouble of looking for stationery every time you want to leave your coordinates with someone. But in many countries, particularly far east asian ones, it is more of a cultural thing. In Japan, handing out and receiving cards was a ceremonial act. But to me, your handing out the wrong card is just a slip and I would actually look at it with humour. I hope the people concerned do too. Asking for a written explanation is a bit much!!!!