Friday, December 04, 2009

Real People and Real Problems

All of the last two weeks I have been fretting - because the insurance company refused to extend our coverage and because I am sitting on the bench with little to do.
Such trivia fills up our mind and pulls down our moods in a way the world appears to be black. Until we encounter real people with real problems. Then we know how blessed we are!
We have in Mississauga a neighbour - who was also our neighbour in New Jersey. A wonderful outgoing couple with an active social life. They go camping and park trekking and are always busy. Two sons, one with Downs' syndrome and the husband with a history of cancer in the kidney 4 years ago.
I got back from a high school open house 3 days ago and got a call from the lady of the house. Her husband's symptoms had returned she told me. Could Ameeth accompany them to the emergency?
All my problems flew out of the window! Fortunately the symptoms were due to a severe infection. But then I look at this family. How they pour life into every living moment. Do they complain? The only thing you hear them complain about is the lack of time, because they are so busy filling up the minutes with memorable moments.
Here's another story. A colleague who is an Indian. He had the temerity to expose a bureaucrat many years ago. He was hounded out of his country. And here he sits calmly smiling and telling me how he keeps his blood pressure down and leads an active life.
And then we have my daughter's dance teacher. She lost her entire family in the Kanishka air crash in 1984. 60 + years old and at least 10 times more agile than I! A spring in every step and not a wrinkle on her face.
These are real people. With problems larger than any I ever had! They inspire me and make me thank God for my blessings - My wonderful family my husband and my kids! Kids who make me proud when I listen to their teachers talk about them!My larger family- I still have parents who cook me my favorite dish every once in a while and my mothers magic fingers still can massage a migraine away from my head. Friends who God knows why think the world of me! My life, my health, my job and enough resources to help out those that need my help.

3 comments:

Nahida Sunil said...

I so love this post! Yes, we are blessed and while we are only human and tend to slip into self-pitying moods, it makes great sense to thank God for our blessings every single day. I do!

Poonam Bhatia said...

I didn't know you kept a blog, Ranjana. Saw the link on FB, read this post and then all the older ones too........they are simply wonderful.......not only for the sensitive manner in which you have articulated your thoughts, emotions, anecdotes but also in the manner in which you have picked up some real issues which are often felt but do not get expressed by most people, mostly for lack of courage. All your posts obviously have come straight from your heart and this makes them so very special. As someone who has such wonderful and nostalgic memories of our time together, I feel very proud, Ranjana, to have you as a friend.

Ritu said...

Its very nice,specially the way you have put together everything ,

but I dont agreee to compare my problems with others & say I'm fortunate because others doesn't have something which I have,its God's way to teach you something special & give yr life a direction for which u r born.

I mean I cant look at my friend who is married for 8 yrs without kid & say I'm so so fortunate that I have 2 beautiful kids& she has none so I'm lucky,it'll be so mean if I think so,

rather I'll broaden my outlook & say God is preparing them to do something else which is meant for them & thats why they r born for,

The beauty of this whole creation of the world is to live yr fullest & help & spread love among people who need it.